Hackman General Store

 

Erected by:  Mr. and Mrs. Gilbert Munchel, 1970

Located:   Northwest corner of Main and Pearl Streets, Oldenburg, Indiana


Text and History: 

Erected 1861-64 by Anton Hackman from Winkum,

Germany at a cost of $3,317.85.  Structure consists

of   125,000 brick handmade locally at Gehrings

Brick Yards.  Bricklayers earned $2.00 and Laborers

$1.25 for 10 hour day.  Ornate tinwork on front of

building fashioned by Caspar Gaupel, Master

Tinsmith.  Served as a Trading Center housing 3

floors of merchandise. Post Office, Tavern and

Residence.

please click image to go back